Sunday, January 01, 2017

In The Know: Medical School Requirements

//  “Take responsibility for yourself because no one’s going to take responsibility for you. I’m not a victim. I grow from this and I learn.” – Tyra Banks //


I am a firm believer that if you put your mind to anything, you can make it happen.  All you need is hard work, persistence, willingness to learn, willingness to ask for help and the gumption to find the information you need.  I can't help with all of those things, although I wish I could, but I can provide a little bit of information and share my experiences. 

COURSEWORK REQUIREMENTS

The most current requirements are a minimum of 1 year of:


1. Physics with lab
2. General chemistry OR Inorganic chemistry with lab
3. General biology
4. Organic chemistry with lab
5. Calculus
6. English
7. Sociology
8. Psychology

GPA and MCAT scores

To give a specific GPA for medical school is unrealistic.  GPA and MCAT scores are bread and butter - in that these are the only standardized ways to compare applicants- but the medical school admission process at certain institutions focuses on the whole picture that is the applicant, and not just the scores.  A GPA of 3.5 or greater is solid.  When looking at MCAT scores, these actually are school dependent.  I spent a lot of time researching the medical schools I was interested in and finding out their average GPA and MCAT scores for accepted students, so I could gauge myself and determine the schools it was worth my money to apply to (remember, you are paying to apply).

The AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) collects and organizes a lot of this great information.  Check this out:




EXTRAS

Research prior to medical school IS NOT a requirement, but it doesn't hurt.  Showing that you are interested and passionate about something to the point where you spend your "free time" exploring it is a PLUS (and something medical student interviewers are looking for -- I know-- I interviewed for medical school and interviewed students as well).

Shadowing physicians is also NOT a requirement, but can be extremely beneficial.  It allows you to see behind the "glamour" of being a physician and discover the day-to-day work required and expectations.  Eventually, I want to be able to have an internship that allows students to shadow me...but in the mean time, find a Doctor you know or even one you don't know, and shadow them.  

If you are from Central Arkansas and have a high school student interested in preparing themselves as much as possible for college and beyond, look into Arkansas Commitment. This program can really put you on the path to greatness - with the test prep and guidance provided by the program on top of the connections! Connections are so important, and boy is this program connected. For more info, check this out: 

No comments:

Post a Comment