Monday, January 02, 2017

Speedy Cold Recovery: 101

// “I think there are things for all of us to do as long as we’re here and we’re healthy.” – Gwendolyn Brooks //

Now, when it comes to being a doctor, I can prescribe medications ALL DAY! But personally, I am just a holistic first-generation Ghanaian-American who sniffs oils and drinks special drinks daily. 

When I was a little girl, I would get a cold and my mom would make me Lite Soup (its very similar to an American broth based soup with chicken).  She would make the soup so spicy that I would sit on the floor eating it with a large glass of ice-cold water and a loaf of bread next to me.  My nose would run as I was eating and if my lips didn't require ice cubes to be applied to them because they felt like they had burned off, then the soup wasn't hot enough.  
As an intern, cooking is something I have little to no time for.  So instead, I have concocted a holistic regimen that has me over my colds in 24-36 hours. Now, everyone is different...but this method has worked consistently for me. 

1. As soon as I start feeling the tickle in my throat, I start eating Ricola. Besides being Coco Chanels' favorite snack (my puppy), they are great for soothing the throat!


Image result for ricolawalgreens.com

2. I live for the Olbas Oil inhaler!!!! I sniff this stuff like 20 times a day...especially before walking into a patients' room who I just feel might have something to spread.  I have been using Olbas Oil for years. Initially, we had to have it shipped from Ghana to the US.  Then it made its way to the UK...so our shipping fees were lessened. But now, you can get it in the US at certain Natural Food Stores. 

Image result for olbas oil inhalerwalgreens.com


3. I drink the same concoction EVERY MORNING!!!! I boil water and pour it over a couple of lemon slices and a bit of fresh cut ginger. When I have a sore throat, I just add a little honey to the mix.  This drink just makes me feel better and gives me energy for the day (I am that doctor who never drinks coffee or energy drinks). It also seems to ward off my colds, and if I do get a cold, I get over it pretty quickly.



So this is my little regimen! Hope it helps, my holistic homies*

No comments:

Post a Comment