Sunday, January 01, 2017

The Journey: What Medical School Was Like (Q&A)

Here are just a few of the questions I have been asked about the journey through medical school* As time goes on and I get more questions, I will add to the section.  Also, If you have any questions, email them! 


“It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” – Lena Horne



Take us through your journey in medical school. What was the hardest part?

Now this is a hard question. To start, the overall structure of Medical School is that the first 2 years are spent in the classroom.  At my institution, the plan was for us to learn normal anatomy, physiology, cell biology, microbiology and pathology in the first year. Then we learn how everything can go wrong in the second year. Then we apply what we have learned and continue with hands-on learning in our 3rd and 4th years. They say Medical School is like drinking water out of a fire hydrant....and that is pretty accurate. There is so much information to learn and you just never feel caught up..and any moment that you do feel caught up, you remember that you aren't. That is the cycle until the middle of 4th year when you feel a sense of extreme freedom as you just wait to find out where you MATCH for residency. I can't really pin-point a "hardest" part. Standardized exams are NOT my favorite thing in the world, so Step 1 and Step 2 were hard for me.



You received your MPH (Masters in Public Health) while in medical school? What was the process like?



I honestly believe that if you can make it through Medical School, getting your Masters is a small feat in comparison. My institution was great in that I did not have to pay for my Masters because I was already in the Medical program, but just because I didn't have to pay with money doesn't mean I didn't pay with time. A lot of my friends had a lot more free time in medical school because they didn't have extra classes that I had to go to, but I really think that all Medical Students should take some public health courses.  By doing so, I believe you become a better physician.  You look at the health of your patients' from a different and wider perspective.


How did you feel when you finally got to do rotations? What was your favorite one? Least favorite?

I was so excited when it came to doing an actual rotation.  The 1st and 2nd year of Medical School were full of class work, and by the 3rd year, I was just so ready to get out of the classroom.  The best part of getting to start rotations is that you have actual patient contact, and you begin to see the disease processes that you spent 2 years in a classroom learning in real life!  I really liked all of my rotations, so I found it a bit difficult to settle on one particular specialty.  My 1st rotation was pediatrics, and I just loved the kids.  My 2nd rotation was surgery, and I just loved being in the operating room.  My 3rd rotation was OB/GYN, and I just loved delivering babies and going to the nursery and holding the babies. Do you see the trend??  Yes, that's my personality...I fell in love with everything.  I think my absolute favorite rotation was OB/GYN, and my least favorite rotation was probably Internal Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment