Monday, January 02, 2017

The Journey: Getting to College

// “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” – Oprah Winfrey //


What factors did you look for when choosing a college for undergrad? How did you decide to attend Bowdoin?

Wow, it feels like choosing a college for undergrad was so long ago.  I attended Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.  When trying to choose an undergraduate program, I knew that I wanted a liberal arts institution and I knew that I wanted to leave Arkansas.  I was a member of a great program in Little Rock called Arkansas Commitment, led by Dr. Thomas Eppley, that helped with the process of finding great colleges out-of-state and navigating the application, acceptance and negotiation of scholarship process. 

I always knew I wanted to become a doctor, so I was looking for a school that was strong in the math and sciences, with a small to medium-sized feel where I felt like I would be more than just a number and really get attention from my professors, and most importantly I wanted to go to an institution where I felt happy and comfortable on the campus.  I think we underestimate how important it is to visit colleges and really think about how you feel living there for 4 years of your life. 
(NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU VISIT THE COLLEGES YOU GET ACCEPTED TO BEFORE YOU MAKE A DECISION IF YOU CAN! Many colleges have programs where you can experience campus life for a weekend...DO IT!)  

I applied to 16 colleges and was accepted to Harvard University, Yale University, Vassar College, Vanderbilt University, Pomona College, Middlebury College, Washington University, Davidson College, Macalester College... okay I was accepted to all the schools that I applied to, but Bowdoin was the school that I felt the most comfortable and at-home on the campus. My four years at Bowdoin were the best 4 years of my life, to date!


No comments:

Post a Comment